The question is not what you look at, but what you see. ~ H.D. Thoreau

PGC Photo-Jacob Dingel

Ground Hog Day. We wage our weather forecast on the sight of a shadow by a rodent. It’s a silly holiday, and one that during the doldrums of mid winter, gives us hope. We might see 3 feet of snow on the ground and a thermometer reading 18 degrees F, but if Phil sees no shadow Spring is on the way early! Low and behold there were no shadows in sight yesterday when Phil was yanked from his shelter, but what does it really matter? Why do I bring it up?

As far as I’m concerned a ground hog and a cloudy day have absolutely nothing to do with the arrival of budding trees and warm weather. It’s hard to know what and when will occur weather wise at all these days, but that is another story. I’m sure most would agree about the ground hog and the weather, but it makes for a feel good news story, and a cute (also feel good) movie. Maybe some minor fame to an otherwise podunk PA town, and not much else. So again, why do I bring it up?

What gives me hope? Some days nothing. Honestly. I am a positive person by nature, and tend to keep my dark side at bay in public, but I sure have one. Some days I can’t really see the point in taking drugs with bio-hazard warnings on the label. My fingers are numb, and achy and it hurts to write. I am cranky, and difficult and I just don’t want to. Don’t want to anything.

Then another day comes and I feel better, much better even. Much better these days amounts to maybe two thirds of my pre-cancer self, but I don’t think about that. I think WOW I can knit a hat, make delicious whole grain muffins, write in my journal, make freakin art! I can.

Since getting sick it seems certain things are amplified. My patience is shorter at times, and my filters can be non existent. I recently “got in a fight” with a woman in a parking lot. Me, a pacifist, let it slider, didn’t let it slide. What I am learning is this can be an advantage. My positivity saves me most days. I can choose to see the shadow or not. On my bad days I try my hardest to suck it up and look for the silver lining. Sometimes I just lay low at home, and that brings it’s own rewards.

So, when I wake up feeling achy and wish I could sleep forever, literally, I open my eyes and look out the window. Lucky for me I can do this with out leaving my bed. If I see shadows I can rejoice in the sun, if not I can contemplate a good reason not to leave the house. Either way it moves me to get up, and the first step is the hardest. I can choose to see my sore feet and bemoan my miserable life, or I can put on some happy socks and keep moving those feet, one step at a time. It is all in how I choose to see, not just what is there.

When I was first diagnosed late last year I was delusional. More accurately I was in denial. I thought I would write about my breezy days at the cancer center, while making amazing art from my bone scans, and writing award winning essays to help cancer patients. Oh, did I mention the money I was going to raise? Hell yeah, lots of it. Over the past year reality set in and I had to accept that I will not be the middle aged Kris Karr (nor do I want to be). I stayed away from here and from many things because I felt poorly, because I am not as comfortable sharing the shit as I thought, because I didn’t want to admit how blind I’d been.

Now I choose to see what I can do, and to be OK with not knowing much a lot of the time. I see the beauty in healthy food, relationships, and in art, music, and literature. And humor, oh how I love to laugh. I take in as much as I can, and at the end of the day I am grateful to have lived another day. I see beauty in that. There is no shame in knowing you are dying. I see beauty in the light and the shadows.

From the Heart,

86 Responses to The question is not what you look at, but what you see. ~ H.D. Thoreau
  1. Kimberley McGill
    February 4, 2013 | 9:30 pm

My heart is more open because you wrote this. I felt the unoiled hinges creak to open a little bit more. You have blessed me today.

2. Gwyn
    February 4, 2013 | 9:35 pm

Oh Kim! Thank You for being there to open. <3

3. VICTORIA
    February 4, 2013 | 11:16 pm

always love hearing from you gywn.

4. Sandy
    February 5, 2013 | 1:10 am

haha! I was looking for the “like” button then realized this wasn’t Facebook ;))

5. Estizer
    February 5, 2013 | 4:30 am

I see the beauty in you:)

6. Elwyn Crawford
    February 5, 2013 | 8:04 am

Ah Gwyn – perspectives! – may you keep seeing the positive whether that be by not letting things slide in the grandest grumpiest way or whether you are deep into a monster muffin making frenzy!!!

7. debe
    February 5, 2013 | 9:00 am

Keep ‘seeing’ Gwen, then find something in the ‘telling’
    that helps you get one aching foot in front of the other

8. Emma
    February 5, 2013 | 12:40 pm

Excellent post. Seeing beauty in all these places is a BIG thing. That’s wisdom.

9. Women Health
    February 22, 2013 | 12:10 am

This site was… how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally I have found something which helped
    me. Thank you!

10. Buy Twitter Followers cheap
    February 27, 2013 | 10:02 am

And one could imagine that the ‘shame on you’ comment is directed right at Jill.
    Here’s the top ten: after Obama in 4th place is a recent arrival to the top ten, reality star Kim Kardashian in 5th, followed by Katy Perry in 6th, in 7th place is actor Ashton Kutcher, then talk show host Ellen De – Generes in 8th, Taylor Swift in 9th and Oprah Winfrey in 10th. There is another way to increase your Twitter followers which is simply to follow other users on Twitter.

11. What’s up, every time i used to check weblog posts here early in the morning, as i enjoy to find out more and more.

12. Louisvill HVAC
    July 19, 2013 | 2:52 am

Hello just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know a few of the pictures aren’t loading correctly. I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue.
    I’ve tried it in two different web browsers and both show the same results.

13. Medical Alarm
    August 16, 2013 | 4:17 pm

I’m truly enjoying the design and layout of your blog. It’s a very easy on the eyes which makes it much
    more pleasant for me to come here and visit more often.
    Did you hire out a designer to create your theme? Excellent work!

14. locksmith
    August 18, 2013 | 11:34 pm

You’re so cool! I don’t think I’ve read a single thing like that before. So good to discover another person with some unique thoughts on this topic. Seriously.. thank you for starting this up. This site is one thing that’s needed on the web,
    someone with a little originality!

15. locksmith florida keys
    September 8, 2013 | 4:45 am

Excellent post. I used to be checking constantly this blog and I’m impressed!
    Extremely helpful information specially the remaining phase :) I care for such info much.
    I used to be seeking this certain info for a long time. Thank you
    and good luck.

16. technology
    September 29, 2013 | 12:04 pm

Magnificent items from you, man. I have bear in mind your stuff previous to
    and you’re simply extremely magnificent. I actually like what you’ve got right here, really
    like what you are stating and the best way during which you assert it.
    You’re making it entertaining and you continue to take care of to stay it smart.
    I cant wait to read far more from you. This is actually a wonderful web
    site.

17. GrillReview Official
    October 18, 2013 | 8:26 pm

Incredible! This blog looks just like my old one!
    It’s on a entirely different subject but it has pretty much
    the same layout and design. Wonderful choice of colors!

18. http://proethica.org.pl
    May 7, 2014 | 12:07 am

I know this web site gives quality depending content
    and additional information, is there any other web page which offers these kinds of
    stuff in quality?

19. contract wars cheats
    May 10, 2014 | 8:51 am

Here are most noteworthy information about Fb which plainly indicate its significance and likely impact on your producer.

The app that you download to the i – Pad is called Slotmania HD, and the one that goes on the i – Phone or i – Pod is just
    called Slotomania. On the other hand, enabling this type of tool
    means organisations can strengthen relationships with customers and suppliers and
    engage with them in a media that suits the time constraints of the recipient.

20. ringing in ears cure
    August 2, 2014 | 1:40 am

ringing in ears cure

The question is not what you look at, but what you see. ~ H.D. Thoreau | Art.Hope.Truth

21. fat burner

most effective acne treatment

26. severe acne treatment
    August 3, 2014 | 7:54 am

severe acne treatment

27. mike walden acne no more
    August 3, 2014 | 9:46 am

mike walden acne no more

28. loss
    August 3, 2014 | 3:41 pm

loss

29. weight loss stories
    August 4, 2014 | 12:39 am

weight loss stories

30. adiphene where to buy
    August 4, 2014 | 1:02 am

adiphene where to buy

31. fast effective weight loss
    August 4, 2014 | 1:05 am

fast effective weight loss

32. treatment for ringing in the ears
    August 4, 2014 | 2:43 am

treatment for ringing in the ears

33. the fat loss factor program review
    August 4, 2014 | 5:02 am

the fat loss factor program review

34. adiphene weight loss

what causes tinnitus

58. consumer reviews
    August 27, 2014 | 9:37 pm

consumer reviews

59. panic away book
    September 21, 2014 | 1:32 am

future, the researchers want to find out whether a combination of several educated in the
    gastrointestinal tract hormones can further enhance
    the effect of the gastric band. Safety is also assured when taking
    Adiphene because of its natural ingredients, which means that serious side effects are unlikely
    to happen if taken as directed. Adiphene Weight Loss Supplements Offers a Unique 25% Discount n select package fr
    Online B Worldwide If the online critiques are something
    to go by, Adiphene is an efficient weight-loss option.

60. anxiety information
    September 21, 2014 | 1:33 am

So why is being overweight such a direct link
    to diabetes. Individuals who have underlying medical condition should also consult a physician before taking this
    diet pill. There is a section to discuss the biggest loser show,
    specific diets, and much more.

61. panic away dvd
    September 21, 2014 | 1:36 am

So why is being overweight such a direct link
    to diabetes. Adiphene is the newest and fastest
    weight reduction supplement in market. Adiphene Weight Loss Supplements Offers
    a Unique 25% Discount n select package fr Online B Worldwide If the online critiques
    are something to go by, Adiphene is an efficient weight-loss option.

62. the linden method the anxiety disorder
    September 23, 2014 | 1:07 am

If you have been feeling tired and rundown lately, and seem
    to be gaining weight for no apparent reason, then it
    is time for a change. Individuals who have underlying medical condition should also consult
    a physician before taking this diet pill. There is a section to discuss the
    biggest loser show, specific diets, and much more.

63. mike cruikshank
    September 23, 2014 | 1:08 pm

Take your time as you begin to figure out what niche is right for you.
    Maximizing your earnings is pretty self explanatory.

However, if you put in the effort, you will reap your rewards.

64. buzzing in ears
    September 23, 2014 | 1:09 pm

So why is being overweight such a direct link to diabetes.

This means thay everybody who makes use of Adiphene should shed pounds.
    Assuming that you aren’t a super-taught individual, you will have some
    major snags adding on control over your zealous urges towards consuming distinctive sustenances.

65. the linden method reviews
    September 24, 2014 | 9:22 am

You’ll for certain do not have something to lose with Adiphene, thus for those that actually need to slim while not losing their
    time and power, then Adiphene is that the product for you.

Perhaps the main reason behind this though is that you have developed a dependence on food.
    Sonnie Mc – Lemore is a health and fitness blog owner.

66. joe barry panic away program
    September 24, 2014 | 3:20 pm

Lets begin with stating among the information about this excellent revolutionary weight-reduction plan capsule and metabolism
    price booster. Safety is also assured when taking Adiphene because of its
    natural ingredients, which means that serious side effects are unlikely to happen if
    taken as directed. There is a section to discuss the biggest loser show, specific diets,
    and much more.

67. Reagan
    September 24, 2014 | 5:12 pm

I read a lot of interesting articles here. Probably you spend a lot of
    time writing, i know how to save you a lot of work, there is an online tool that
    creates high quality, SEO friendly articles in minutes, just
    type in google – laranitas free content source

68. the linden method the anxiety disorder
    September 25, 2014 | 9:32 am

You wont find Adiphene in your native pharmacy or some huge store
    like Walmart or Walgreens. There are hundreds to choose from,
    allowing you the choice of matching the
    type with your own health and fitness goals. There is a section to discuss the biggest loser
    show, specific diets, and much more.

69. the tinnitus miracle
    October 4, 2014 | 11:50 pm

It reduces fats and carb absorption, reduces urge for food, stimulates the metabolism
    promoting fats burning and offers you extra vitality. There are hundreds to choose from, allowing
    you the choice of matching the type with your own health and fitness goals.
    Glucomannan is among the most active hunger suppressants in Adiphene, and it works to suppress yearnings and help you handle your parts.

70. bing
    October 5, 2014 | 8:57 pm

So why is being overweight such a direct link to diabetes.
    Perhaps the main reason behind this though is that
    you have developed a dependence on food. Sonnie Mc – Lemore is a health and fitness blog owner.

71. Viral Video
    October 5, 2014 | 10:16 pm

My cousin encouraged I will like Bhubaneswar web design this web-site. He / she used to be altogether correct. This post really designed my working day. You are unable to look at the best way a good deal time I’d put in with this information and facts! Thank you!

72. tinnitus retraining therapy
    October 6, 2014 | 6:50 am

If you want to know the crystal clear details it is better to view just about any online store web sites explaining the actual product
    or service information using elements. Adiphene is the newest
    and fastest weight reduction supplement in market. Sonnie Mc
    – Lemore is a health and fitness blog owner.

73. Kelvin
    October 13, 2014 | 5:10 am

Hi would you mind letting me know which web host you’re using?
    I’ve loaded your blog in 3different internet browsers and I must
    say this blog loads a lot qyicker then most. Can you recommend a
    ggood hosting provider at a reasonable price? Kudos, I appreciate it!

74. weight training equipment
    October 17, 2014 | 12:09 am

The differences in their prices aren’t that significant
    unless you plan to buy an entire set of dumbbells.
    Wii dumbbells may make the difference in your workout.
    If your working on building your own in home gym or would just like a place to store your dumbbells, but don’t want to
    spend a large amount of money on a dumbbell stand, this easy to follow step by step
    will show you how to build your own at a fraction of the cost.

75. best adjustable dumbbells
    October 18, 2014 | 9:05 am

Sound like a better value to me to save eighty bucks. There are a lot adjustable weight sets who are under $500 that comes with more flexibility which will save
    your specific money. They can be purchased through Bowflex directly
    online or at companies such as Dick’s Sporting Goods.

76. free weights
    October 20, 2014 | 10:42 am

If you perform in an business office there are often moments that you uncover yourself with
    nothing to do and all your perform is completed for the
    day. When your working the Fat Burning Furnace System you.
    Attach rubber stoppers to one end of each of the pieces and stand one in each corner
    of your space, placing the other two in the center of the four corner pieces.

77. twitter
    November 17, 2014 | 10:38 pm

need to slim while not losing their time
    and power, then Adiphene is that the product for you.
    Adiphene is the newest and fastest weight reduction supplement in market.
    The science behind Adiphene consists of 12 of probably the most
    power fat preventing ingredients known.

78. Foot Conditions
    March 22, 2015 | 2:14 pm

Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact
    was once a entertainment account it. Look complex to more introduced agreeable from you!
    By the way, how could we communicate?

79. Flat Feet
    March 24, 2015 | 8:57 am

I got this site from my pal who informed me on the topic of this web
    page and now this time I am browsing this web site
    and reading very informative posts here.

80. Ankle Pain symptoms
    March 29, 2015 | 9:43 pm

What’s up mates, how is everything, and what you desire to say regarding this article, in my view its genuinely awesome in favor of me.

81. hallux valgus causes
    April 8, 2015 | 1:13 am

I have read so many articles or reviews concerning the
    blogger lovers however this piece of writing is genuinely a good article, keep it up.

82. Bunion Protectors
    April 12, 2015 | 4:07 pm

Hey There. I discovered your blog using msn. This
    is a very neatly written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and come back to learn more of
    your useful info. Thanks for the post. I’ll definitely
    comeback.

83. Growth Hormone
    April 15, 2015 | 11:48 am

This website really has all of the information and facts I wanted about this subject and didn’t
    know who to ask.

84. Insoles For Height
    April 27, 2015 | 5:59 am

That is a very good tip especially to those new to the blogosphere.
    Short but very accurate information… Many thanks for sharing this one.
    A must read article!

85. Ankle Pain causes
    June 5, 2015 | 3:19 pm

naturally like your web-site but you need to test the spelling on several of
    your posts. A number of them are rife with spelling issues and I to find it very troublesome to inform
    the truth on the other hand I will certainly come again again.

86. Ball Of Foot Pain treatment
    June 7, 2015 | 4:26 am

Everything is very open with a really clear description of the
    issues. It was truly informative. Your site is useful.
    Thank you for sharing!